PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2013, 13:30
E_S_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripping back all of the recent PR releases etc, isolating the 'visible' effect of all of this by placing the battery (which as far as we know at this time is the only problem?), inside stronger physical containment is not a solution by definition. As many on here have already speculated on the possible causes, the underlying fault as such is still there.

I would hope that other works are also taking place in the background i.e. modified circuit designs, updated software, operating proceedures etc to address this. However, I suppose the crux of this debate is to establish if these batteries are really a critical part of the systems or not, and can sustain failure without causing any further problems with the AC ? If it proved that it doesn't, then perhaps the 'box' may suffice for now, but if goes the other way and it is proved they are critical, then it surely has to be a non-starter. Excuse the pun

I see this phase as basically sticking a bigger fuse in to see what happens next. If you don't know why the fuse blew in the first place and keep changing them for larger fuses how do you then know whats really going wrong until there is a larger failure? Perhaps extended tests once it is back flying (with no PAX I hope), with a little more attention focused into this area may eventually find an engineered solution.