PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyprus Levy on Bank Accounts
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2013, 08:53
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
I suggested they should keep the C£; I still have a few in my currency jar, maybe I will get to use them again. One can always hope!
I guess there are probably a few old Cyp coins in my shrapnel pint pot too, Roly. Along with other long superseded currencies....

After returning to the VC10 having had time out at the UAS, I found some Escudos notes in the pot, so took them to Lajes on one trip - only to find that they were no longer accepted. So Marcelino's restaurant got them as their tip...as on another occasion did Chris Kebab, to whom I gave my last 500 Mil Cyp note!

Maybe I'll get the chance to use the Drachmas again before long? And the Pesetas and Lire? But not the Francs and Reichs.....Deutschemarks, I guess.

Running up a Turkish hotel bar bill until it reached 1000000 blats was pretty easy though!

When Incirlik's runway was being resurfaced, the RAF VC10 det moved to Antalya. Having declined the offer of some tip out in the bondhu (contaminated water), it was agreed that we would instead stay at the Sheraton - far more befitting for Ascoteers! So we had several glorious weeks alternately flying one day and lounging around the pool on the next. A side benefit being that if you let your bill mount up after the exchange rate changed (the Turkish Lire was invariably weakening against even the £), then waited until just before the next update, you could easily make the cost of a decent meal or two. But the Spams stopped all that, by insisting that hotel bills were to be settled weekly....

Last edited by BEagle; 20th Mar 2013 at 09:02.