PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus aircraft sidestick target on PFD
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2013, 23:51
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from CONF_iture:
"There is a difference here as the white cross used to disappear when main gear oleos were fully extended but now, the white cross disappears as soon as the nose gear oleo is fully extended, at least on the 330s I know."

Yes, the logic may have changed very slightly, and it seems to be subtley different on the different types - I don't think we've precisely nailed that one. I was simply responding to Uplinker's less specific point that "Airbuses NOW remove [it] very soon after rotation" [my emphases]. I don't think we would argue with that as a pilots' practical description?

But I wanted to emphasise that, at any rate since A320 type certification in February 1988, the white cross has never been visible for a significant period after rotation.

Quote from OK465:
"Just a technical point, but the cross represents SS 'commands' in effect, not necessarily SS position."

Yes, as in the famous incident where an a/c came off maintenance with the transducers on one sidestick cross-wired (connectors not Murphy-proof). My quote was from a FCOM that predated that incident by many years!

Do we all agree that to call the white cross a "TARGET" is misleading? What do the current FCOMs call it?

Last edited by Jetdriver; 20th Mar 2013 at 03:03.