PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which watch do you wear?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2013, 17:58
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been flying FW and helo for a very long time. Some things I have learned:
1. A wrist watch is not the most useful time instrument for in flight use. Panel mount for me, please.
2. Have tried a wide range of watches over the years including Rolex, Fortis, and Oris. Mechanical watches are a pain, IMHO. Must be wound, set etc frequently especially if you dont use them daily. All of my higher end mechanical watches have required repair early in their life. Also, generally not as accurate as an electronic watch.
3. All of the buttons and dials are a waste for aviation - too hard to use and read in flight. OK as babe bait, however.
4. My vote goes to the Citizen Eco Drive for most useful, most trouble free for aviation use. This one in particular: Citizen Watch Company Can be had for around $125 if you shop around. Claimed to run for 20 years or more, with no need to change batteries. Cant verify that yet as the two I have only have 7 and 12 years on them respectively (with no problems of any kind).

In the end its a personal choice: value, useability and reliability more important to me than style.