PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots changing career
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2013, 16:25
cgwhitemonk11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice?

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice in relation to what degrees/qualifications you all think would help get me into a position to improve this industry? Thank you also to those on this thread who have advised me in the past.

I constantly read on these forums about how T&C's are degrading and 'numpty's are in charge, well instead of just bailing out I'd prefer to work out a long term strategy of putting myself in a position to improve things. My last two Chief Pilots were/are both remarkably admirable men who rule their prospective airlines/companies with common sense and a fair hand, and I think if more people like this can get into the right places then long term everything improves. Naive maybe, but we won't get anything if we don't try.

I'm currently flying as an FO for a small UK TP operator and am looking at around 3-4 years of busy summer seasons with plenty of downtime in the Winter months. Perfect to do a degree or some other distance learning course but am struggling to choose what to do. Physics and maths interest me, as does engineering. I'm looking to do something that will compliment my aviation career but not be completely reliant on me being a pilot either, something that will allow me to take it further too, as in the masters or post-graduate route... Or would I be better off with a business or some sort of law/management degree? (In the larger airlines they may open paths to management roles or is that too simplistic a view?)

As a background to myself I'm a pretty good pilot, and academically always worked hard. A1 Grades in English, Physics/Chemistry and a B in Higher Level Maths back in Ireland before I left. (No bragging here just so you have an idea I would be willing to tackle a high level or advanced degree)

Another influencing factor is my partner has a good job which offers her opportunities to work worldwide, meaning there may potentially be periods in the future where taking a job outside of a flying role would be appealing.

I have looked at the OU website and am going to call them for a chat soon. Where I am located currently an online course is the only real option right now. My housemate currently does a distance learning Physics degree with them and is happy with how its going, also deferring your payments until you finish is appealing. Somewhere along the way an FI rating is a goal too, but financially not really an option for awhile.

As I said I'm looking at the long term route here, and any advice (good or bad, is appreciated).