PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King HAR3/3A differences.
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2013, 22:04
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah memories

Tuc,
Thanks for posting the pic of the grey SeaKing.
I designed the RWR radomes and radio installation back in 82 for the Falklands. never had a pic. do you mind if I pinch it?

Funny story from the era: we had just put a low priorty job to bed in order to do this rush job. some time during the installation of the ARC 340 wireless tuning unit under the floor my mate lost his steel rule. the a/c deployed south. he was good enough to own up and missing tool procedures initiated including flash signals issued to order a search. (the floor had to come up- they must have loved us!) no loose articles found. the guy was s#itting himself because he was a good guy who cared.

Months went past and after a few other rush jobs we went back to the Andover job (XS644 if anyone knows it) Opening the put away file of drawings out flopped his steel rule.

Lots of learning points from this about unorthorised tools and equipment near aircraft I will never forget and continue to passed this story on to others so they learn from history. I retired last year but the guy involved is still in doing great things to ensure the latest version of Puma is safe.

As young men in those days we were rushing around with our hair on fire 18 hour days for weeks on end, we may have had the odd Sunday off. I spent the last 10 years doing UORs without the same sence of urgency from others. frustrating particularly since my boy was out a Bastion with the AH 64. I wish I could have been with him.