PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any news on Barrier? Minus the drift.
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2013, 21:39
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Seaplanes is correct about the behaviour of sociopaths although I don't know if CASA is an applicable case study because all the CASA people I've ever met were honest straight forward people and did their job very well in my opinion.

On the general topic of sociopaths, I've studied the subject for Ten years now after running head on into one at work, then another in my private life and I have the emotional scars to prove it.

Basically these people - sociopaths or sufferers of Narcissistic personality disorder suffer from a deep seated sense of lack of self esteem - they compensate for it by seeking continuous evidence from other people of their importance. They do this by seeking high profile positions where they are publicly noticed by as many people as possible. They are often highly intelligent and hard working individuals.

The downside is that they are toxic to be around. They are great haters of anyone who they think threatens them. I saw a perfectly good chief of staff fired - her sin was to publicly correcting one of her bosses more obvious mistakes.

Sociopaths don't do empathy, have a sense of self entitlement a mile wide and believe the rules don't apply to them. A more complete list of traits is at the link below.

Examples? How about Kevin Rudd - wonderful public face but a serial foul mouthed abuser of anyone who worked for him.

Then there was a certain sporting body official who accepted a gift for his child that thousands of other Australian kids were hoping for.

I've identified Two or Three I personally know and steer well clear of them. There are thousands more out there.

How do they get into organisations and prosper? They are extremely good at ""managing up" They calibrate and then mimic the bosses behaviour to impress. If the boss is a golfer they will take up golf. If the boss rides horses, so will they, then casually drop this fact in conversation. They will work hard and intelligently.

Once they get into a position of power, they fire anyone who possibly threatens their omnipotence and replaces them with more sociopaths - for only a sociopath will work for another of his ilk. Good people leave if they can.

Is CASA sociopathic? I don't know, but the issuance of a notice to an organisation late on a Friday afternoon or like Barrier, late on Christmas Eve is an act of deliberate cruelty. Its also the legal equivalent of dropping a turd wrapped in burning newspaper on someones doorstep. Lawyers generally grow out of this sort of behaviour very quickly, so I am surprised that CASA has practiced it on more than one occasion.

Perhaps the good Senators might like to ask CASA to explain why this seems to happen on a regular basis?

Oh yes, the list:

How to spot a sociopath - 10 red flags that could save you from being swept under the influence of a charismatic nut job

Last edited by Sunfish; 18th Mar 2013 at 21:41.