PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2013, 21:28
rkoomans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool About the wailing customs for the dead in PNG - endemic

dead wailing... yes, I was in PNG for about 10 years early 1968 to late 1975, and came across it a lot. It was customary, and seems to cover every South Pacific Island people, and other than the immediate family and relatives (they all live close by and gather almost instantaneously on an event) - will display their emotions or customary support by wailing with the tune. Others will wail merely out of respect for the dead friend / friend of friend etc., to show their sympathy. I rather like this support system in customary behaviour, and people who have had a tragedy or loss of any kind, will always get help from their neighbours or close friends, and not merely wailing... but in real terms, like kaukau or casava or grin-lip and even help in restoring a garden, or house (grass/bamboo etc.) ... things that see is necessary. No homeless persons there, ever! I have come across many varied customs on punishment though, over a large area of PNG, from mild to severe forms, but that is another story (My booklet "Lavai" on the Orokolo people, Lavai Ipi clan, yet to be printed, but a copy given to the Brisbane Museum at Southbank, as it relates to northern tribes near Kowanyama FNQ.)