PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need input in regards to a financial advisor in Dubai
Old 18th Mar 2013, 18:11
SwedenInDubai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said before, I really appreciate that all of you take your time to answer my long posts!

Me and my wife have taken the decision not to do this ourself and rather pay the fee to let someone that we feel that we can trust to do it (yes, even if the guy can pay a month or two of the installments on his Volvo V70 - not Porsche). With that said I think some of you missed out on the part where I wrote that I contacted the guy based in Sweden as well (with no lock-in period) to see what he recommends in regards of my pension.

Also, to be honest - and I think anyone with a wife can relate to this - if you do the investments yourself and another economic crisis hits us, who do you think your wife will bust the balls off?

There are also stories where people who makes their own investments loose loads of money. One example of this is a friend of my mother in law who bought Ericsson stocks (one of the major telecom companies in the world) for a really long period of time (more than 20 years). A couple of years ago when his retirement was getting closer the stocks went from about 220 SEK (125 AED) to 3 SEK (1,71 AED). He lost about 3 million SEK and luckily he had invested elsewhere as well.. But such horrifying story is the "other side of the coin".

I think BigGeordie wrote something good in his first post;

"Take advice from as many people as you like but make an informed decision based on what you know not what they tell you. Never, ever buy a financial product you don't understand completely."

Thanks a lot for all you're input!!