PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where would I find...
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2013, 13:10
Spitoon

Piltdown, the document you reference is actually a Eurocontrol thing and highlights some particular bits of standard phraseology. The ICAO references for RTF comms procedures and phraseology are spread through Annex 10 Vol II, PANS-ATM (Doc 4444) and the Manual of Radiotelephony (Doc9432).

The problem, though, is that there is no such thing a an exhaustive and comprehensive standard set of phrases. The Foreword to the Manual of Radiotelephony includes the following 'ICAO phraseologies are developed to provide efficient, clear, concise, and unambiguous communications, and constant attention should be given to the correct use of ICAO phraseologies in all instances in which they are applicable. However, it is not possible to provide phraseologies to cover every conceivable situation which may arise, and the examples contained in this manual are not exhaustive, but merely representative of radiotelephony phraseology in common use. Users may find it necessary to supplement phraseologies with the use of “plain” language. When it is necessary to use plain language, it should be used according to the
same principles that govern the development of phraseologies in that communications should be clear, concise, and unambiguous.
'

I don't ever recall seeing rules for issuing a ground clearance in anticipation set out in a document, but I did it on numerous occasions when I was working in ops. Usually I did it when I was trying to be helpful and when it might save time. I would only have done it with a crew or driver that I thought was going to be able to understand the non-standardness of the clearance and was always ready to do a disregard and to go back to the normal standard phraseologies and procedures if it was not received in the spirit that it was offered.

Last edited by Spitoon; 18th Mar 2013 at 13:15. Reason: Because I hadn't finished!