PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh dear... Now what should I do?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2003, 14:43
foghorn
I say there boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

You know, people higher up the industry, when asked what is the best way for a newly-qualified low hours pilot to progress to an airline job on the background of a crappy job market, always respond 'stay in the industry'.

However the reality of the situation is that a complete dearth of opportunities often causes many people to get in the situation that you find yourself in at the moment, Nishko. You've done your best to stay in the industry and work your way up, and external events have conspired against you.

At this moment in time I really am sorry for you, Nishko. Even though I often look with jealousy to those with flying jobs from my current uninspiring but well-paid IT job, wondering whether I made the right choice to get out of aviation (temporarily I hope), I look at your situation and think 'but for the grace of god go I'. Had I accepted the conventional wisdom and stayed in the industry when I qualified back in September 2001, rather than running away to pay off my debts, I'd probably be in a similar position by now. However I'm out of the industry, not flying much, despite my best efforts losing currency, not building that network, missing any opportunities that might come along etc. etc.

The reality is that there is never an easy route in. We all paid our money and took our choices. It's been pretty crap recently either way. All the best mate, you deserve a big break in the near future, as do us all.

cheers!
foggy.

Last edited by foghorn; 14th Feb 2003 at 15:19.