PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYR 'forgot' to get landing clearance!
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2013, 08:46
J03BL0GGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I might then remind you to give me the landing clearance prior to landing.

If you see someone about to land at say 100 feet and you are OK with it, why don't you just transmit a quick landing clearance and therefore prevent the pilot from having to write a report and perhaps be suspended. You will likely get a thank you.
I have experienced this on many an occasion at YMMB, given the ability it has to go from dead to full circuits within the blink of an eyelid often the busy ATC guys will just give a call "<insert call sign> clear to land/touch and go, no need to respond", considering YMMB traffic is mainly students it's really helpful for them and for the students/instructors. They also seem to judge when to use it depending on both the traffic situation i.e. an aircraft ahead is on the runway and determine whether it will make a taxi way before telling them to go around but also whether it's apparent the student is struggling, the radio calls are a mess or the instructor has to make a call after the original to clarify or the circuits are a mess. I personally think it's great when they do that, especially with the propensity students have to go well past the numbers and the keys, even with 8 aircraft in the circuit prior to a change in the airspace I never once felt it was an issue with those guys.

The calls usually come in well before my personal decision point, only once was it an issue but that was my first solo and they were trying hard to make sure I got down on my first circuit, however the clown ahead of me decided to keep taxiing on the runway to save the taxiways and I ended up just going around.

And on especially busy days when the guys are really taking a battering I do try give them a gentle nudge, or if the traffic pattern is so bunched just go around to spread things out.

I can understand that the pilots made a mistake and it wasn't deliberate, and we all have, but I can't really understand how two people didn't twig at any point on the approach, it just seems like something that would have come up at some point...

Last edited by J03BL0GGS; 18th Mar 2013 at 08:58.