PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do after the RAF
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2013, 08:33
Inspecthergadget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Kam

Following on from the comments of many of my colleagues i have to agree with them that the biggest problem you will face is gaining credible civvie experience. These days it's all about building networks and maintaining friendships with a view to the future.

If it's an Ops job you decide to go for you will possible have to start at the bottom and work your way up. It's interesting what Dallas says about there not being a huge pool of talent out there. I know of at least 6 Operations type bods who are currently out of work.

My situation is that i have over 25 years experience in Operations, Crew Scheduling & Traffic Planning ie slots etc, all valuable experience and zero aviation qualifications. My ideal work environment is the smaller kind of operation where i get to do everything pertaining to Crews, Flight Planning, slots etc etc, with one to three aircraft. I'm basically a one man Operations Control Centre, currently on a contract in Sweden with a new Start Up.

I applaud you for thinking ahead and with 6 years to go before the end of your commission it's good to start building a network. I would also suggest where possible to visit Trade Shows, Contact other ATCO's etc and even Eurocontrol and just ask for their advice.

Hope this helps and if i can be of any further assistance please PM me.
"If you don't ask, you don't get"