PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airman Aircrew pay review
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2003, 14:01
left one o clock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colleagues, whilst I too feel that there are many issues which have not been adressed by the review, I do believe a genuine attempt has been made.
I don't believe money is the prime gripe, consequently I don't believe it is a good solution. FRI are a blunt sword.
NCA (look how up to date I am) are intelligent people (on the whole) which is why their prime gripes are QOL issues such as career management and leadership. The first 'push' factor listed on the Review brief was lack of confidence in the leadership. This has been partly addressed by the attempt to place a new emphasis on the employment of MACR. Well overdue in my opinion. However, I believe the solution to the 'lack of respect' claim is partly in our own hands. If you want to be treated with respect, you have to walk the talk. Many of us just want to fly and act as if our rank is an inonvenience. This gets us treated like highly paid SACs. Like it or not we are SNCOs first and aircrew second. (That'll get me flamed for sure!)
To put my opinions in perspective, I'm in my 18th year (so only a part FRI for me) and will be getting out age 40. This is despite LOVING the job I do. We are nibbled to death by ducks and cash is not the answer.
Standing by to get punched.