PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway incursion at YYZ (driverless van)
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2013, 01:20
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CYYZ is, without a doubt, one of the worst tower/ground controll/ ATC facilities in the Wetern World, {there are many even worse, but Im talking about the Wetern World} you guys "Babble" so much that the normal human reaction is to either ignore you or try to filter out most of it
Given that I work in said ATC facility I can't really say I agree...AND I have worked in the UK aswell which I know scores highly in a lot of ATC opinion polls worldwide. We work within the parameters set down for us in our manuals, by our training AND also the pilots that frequent through YYZ airspace on a daily basis and also land and depart at Pearson. As an operational controller in some of Canada's busiest airspace I would love to know what is and isn't considered "babble"....remember I am being told to say some of this stuff because some pilot once upon a time did something that requires it to be said. If you really are ignoring or filtering out most of what ATC is saying then you are opening yourself up to this type of incident happening. You tell the safety bods what you do and don't think is important..and I will gladly cut down some of the phraseology I have to use. Your opinions of NAV Canada as an entity should not overide the basic relationship between pilot and controller......and believe me from the other side....you guys are just as culpable as we are.

This incident is being discussed on the online forums with the controller in question being accused of not using proper phraseology..sounding laid back...that this wasn't really an issue as the plane landed safely etc etc.
The controller here did his job.....spotting a prime target on the ASDE at a time of night that some on the internet are saying is a time that "spatial awareness" could be lacking.....and issued the correct instruction to a soon to land aircraft because he couldn't guarantee that the runway was "sterile".

Now from that incident...even as a rough copy before the full investigation...I am not sure how that can rank up there as some of the worst ATC in the western world....especially as the view from the tower at night is not going to give a razor sharp clear view of a tiny van rolling across the threshold of 24R.

I don't normally feel this strongly on PPRUNE Or Avcanada...but tis difficult to keep low when assertions and bold statements are being made on an occasion when even before the official details are released the optics look OK for ATC but bad for the pilots (and the van driver). Criticize based on times when we have ****ed up.....not linking it to this incident when my colleague in the tower did the job that a Western world controller should do.

Last edited by Married a Canadian; 18th Mar 2013 at 01:21.