PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2013, 22:35
Kabwum balus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mindik, Huon Peninsular

Hey Skywagon,

Yes mate, that's Mindik, with Pindui just a few kilometres to the east. Many a time into both, plus of course Kabwum, Wasu & Yalumet, with the odd trip into Konge (like landing on an aircraft carrier there, windshifts like you never saw, but overshoot was easy - just drop into the valley to the left). Indagen wasn't far away from Konge on the other side of the valley.

Cec Randall disappeared somewhere between Wasu & Yalumet in a Crowley Aztec, and was I believe a former DC-6B captain with TAA.

On some trips out of Mindik in the Bonanza, as you fell over the side, it was gear up and nose down for speed!

Yalumet tried you out - you were committed at the junction of the two canyons whilst approaching between the cliffs of the Timbe River from the sea. Before even entering the gorge, you'd have a look up as far as you could to see what was happening weatherwise.

You may remember a pink C185 VH-ELF, based at Kabwum with Kabwum Trading Company, owned by Ian Rowles, now deceased. Another ELF pilot, later TAA, (Crumblebum) and I almost met over the beach at low level in bad weather. The "Elf" heading east for Finsch - me heading west back to Lae. He at 100 ft. - me at 50 ft. luckily, and straight over the top of me! Couldn't raise him on the VHF.

Another one to chalk up!

Thanks for posting the shot.

Cheers.

Ben