PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VP-CAZ Premier 1A Mar 4/13 crash-France
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2013, 22:04
alas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like engine failure

Ok, it is of course not good at all to make any guesses but if you want to hear an opinion from Premier pilot...
The airplane track as it seen on pictures is very similar to unexperienced student performance on a sim after v1 cut. Cannot comment about other airplane types, but Premier after engine failure makes pretty sharp move to dead engine side which at first times is very hardly arrestible. Then beginners usually elect to pull airplane sharply up in the air to prevent runway excursion to the side. This of course could happen before Vr (difference between V1 and Vr on dry rwys is tiny). However I have to say that at least on the sim, Premier's performance, even OEI, is pretty forgiving for such maneuvers even at MTOW at moderate temperatures and elevations. Short runway could be a factor, may be airplane was pulled up at a pretty low speed, due to apparent overrun hazard. The rest is a basic aerodynamics, i.e. too much drag to accelerate. By the way, runway length seems sufficient for T/O with all safety factors.
I don't believe in cable damage by fan blade for two reasons - first, in such case airplane wouldn't become airborne at all in such TODA (you have to pull, it doesn't fly by itself like C172), second, both the engine case and fuselage are pretty strong. Control wheel lock is even less realistic for the reasons explained by Mylan.
Anyhow these are very sad news, will wait for official investigation...