PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Management with Pilot Studies - Any thoughts
Old 17th Mar 2013, 20:48
DCU_Aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genghis,

I am surprised at your observations based on your previous status as an external examiner in DIT.

The DCU programme has been designed and developed in close cooperation with major players in the aviation industry. The degree was a response to approaches made by the aviation industry to DCU and not the other way around. This was not an opportunistic activity as you describe, but a carefully designed programme based on high level consultation with the industry.

As per the results of this consultation, this programme was designed on a solid management foundation (i.e. a proper management degree) which provides students with the requirements to work successfully both within and outside the aviation industry should they so chose. DIT are in a completley different space in terms of aviation education, thus I am not overly surprised you did not hear of it. It has however been represented at events such as the Flyer exhibitions for the last few years, and higher options etc.

The aviation management modules are taught by a senior aviation delivery team, with the majority at senior managerial level in the aviation industry. For a full list of modules delivered on the programme see Qualification: AMPS - BSc in Aviation Man. with Pilot Studies. Not all module coordinators are those actually delivering the module content (some are for administrative reasons).

In addition, the programme is partnered with an Aviation Management Degree programme in EBS Germany, with student exchange possible in place of work placement.

In the fourth year of the programme students choose to take the aviation management option (which is a similar combination of modules as in previous years but at final year standard) or pilot studies option (where students attend a DCU approved FTO).

In summary this programme has been designed for the aviation industry in consultation with the aviation industry.