PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BE1900 IMC CFIT in Alaska
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2013, 17:26
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told the NTSB will start its work on Monday and that shortly after a new intermediate report will be issued.
Then we will know what kind of ATC service was provided by ATC and if the clearance issued was standard or not for that type of service. .

Now from a pilot point of view, I find this RNAV chart crazy, considering the RNAV/GPS nature of the procedure who on earth decided to put an IAF so close to the only peak in the whole area ?

Reminds me the old APP chart for Santa Maria in the Azores, it you were inbound on the wrong VOR ( SMR or SMA, I can't remember) coming from the East ,the APP track made you overfly the only bloody (high) peak in the whole island.
It was an accident waiting to happen, and sadly a US B707, did get caught with a wrong QNH one day, and all on board died as a result.

Very often guys designing these charts do that from an office, very far away from the actual location and with no real flying experience . Not saying this was the case here, but it smells like it.