PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 14th Feb 2003, 12:13
greybeard

Pilot Pete,

Yes it got a little off the track, the OVER-RIDING factor must be SAFETY, and some people consider advice, assistance and corrective measures as interference.
Regretably some people DO push, pull and move things when they think it is "needed" and this is also unacceptable.
This is where CRM, assertivness and CHIRPS are needed and should be used as a way of reinstating some sanity in the cockpit.

I took the original comments to be a bit of a winge as to some people resisting being corrected/assisted/motivated along the learning process, sorry if I got it on the wrong bias.

In the last week I have had one try to run me off the side, one call for the gear during the rotate while the wheels were still on the ground, (but the IVSI had the required climb rate Captain!!!!)
So life goes on and we do our best, admit OUR OWN many and varied errors, omissions and mistakes as well, band width will prevent my listing of my own then and regrettably still now stuffups

There really are only three kinds of Pilots
Those who have stuffed up,
Those who will stuff up,
And the dangerous ones who lie they never have stuffed up.

The F/Os of today are hopefully the Captains of tomorrow, I hope they learn from our examples, good and bad, and do a better job than those who have gone before.