PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Italian 1980 crash probably caused by missile
Old 17th Mar 2013, 11:26
Stubenfliege 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ya.

I have read the report of Mr. Taylor (a fine piece of investigation, of course), but there are several issues, which I didnīt understand:

The Radar returns: There were three radar returns to the west of the flight path of the Itavia 870. According to the supporter of "missile" theory, these returns prove the presence of an another aircraft in the area.
My question is: How could these returns be explained, esp. the two ones far out to the west?

The time fuse: The flight had two hours delay. If the bomb was triggered only by a time fuse, the bomb has to gone up when the aircraft was still on the ground in Bologna?

The suspects: One of the main suspects for the plantation of the bomb in the Itavia DC9 was the right wing group NAR, which was also the main suspects for the terrorist attack on the main station of Bologna four weeks later.
  • Were there any members of this group which were tried for the "Strage di Ustica" by the Italian justice?
  • Are there other suspects for the terror attack on the Itavia jet beside the vague statement "must be the facists"?

Explosive fragments: There were media reports here in Germany, that traces of explosives were found in the corpses of victims, which pointed to an explosion of a missile. In accordance to the italian version of the Wikipedia article, there are traces of "T4" and "TNT" explosives.
  • Are these kinds of explosives are in use in AAR missiles?
  • Were maybe the same explosives used in the attacks on the main station in Bologna?

The dogfight: Important part of the missile theory is the presence of one or more libyan Mig-23 fight jetīs in the area. Is the operational range of Mig23 loaded with missiles sufficient to come from Libya to the area north of Sicily, do some dog fighting and then have the change to reach their homebase?

The legal verdicts: Based on what evidence ruled the court in Palermo & another criminal court in January that the Italian goverment is guilty of the failure to "protect the flight" and has to pay compensation?

Thanks in advance,

Stubenfliege