PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots changing career
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2013, 10:36
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion if the exams was not multiple choice, you would have a high standard of candidates, that probably would have a better foundation / understanding in the subjects.
But for me equally as important, there would be far less spending absurd amounts of money on training that will in the end give them no job!

The FTO's are very happy to have a high pass rate of students, both scores and number of students getting trough their training.
I have seen people hardly ever open their ATPL books, go straight on the QB, and lets be honest banging trough that a few times, will give you most the answers! Go trough the QB 3 - 6 times, and you will know more or less all, I have seen it happen few times with few people I know!

And seriously, if I ever see these people flying a commercial aircraft in the future, I will get of and rather take a train!

Regarding level of English etc., I am not sure why this should be a major issue, of course to enter you would need a certain level of written English anyway, and it would be technical subjects.
When ever in any walk of life I see exams with multiple choice, I get amused, as you have 25% or 33% chance if 4 or 3 questions to get it right, without having a clue about the subject, how can that reflect the true knowledge of the students!

With multiple choice the pass level should maybe be increased to a higher level, I still think essay style would have avoided this boom in pilots without hope!