PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots changing career
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2013, 06:56
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes commercial and ATPL and LTC.

More than happy being proud of being a pilot. I just know that its a skill set which is seperate to the degree job I used to do.

There is a marked difference in how the degree qualified pilots tackle problems both in the air and dealing with documentaion on the ground.

The degree pilots follow the format, problem definition, research, develope a solution then document. Which is what your taught with a degree.

The none degree educated tend to pinpoint solutions from previous experence which works sometimes and gets more successful with high levels of experence. But if the problem is a new problem this is extremely wastful of time and generally the solution isn't particularly effective or works for other reasons than the ones presumed which can then lead it to fall over if the situation changes.

I am also aware that there is an old school and a new school grouping of pilots. The pilots from the years of morse and the different performance exams and multiple plots in general NAV had a completely different foundation in the ATPL subjects. But even they didn't have the training in logical problem definition and solution.