PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2013, 23:28
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kiskaloo
Thanks very much for you update and the Boeing video. I am persuaded that they have indeed produced a container sufficiently strong and heat resistant to hold the worst case failure. A steel plate box 0.250" thick does raise my eyebrows as to weight.

Speaking as a maintenance person of long experience, changing the battery has now gone from releasing a couple of hold-downs and a screw-on battery connector to removing and reinstalling a considerable number of fasteners around the periphery of the cover and maintaining a large seal as well. Will it require some pressure check after reinstalling?

I surely hope that the change in the on-board recharging spec by Boeing cuts down the number of battery changes required and that most of the previous changes were for that reason alone. The fact that the battery seemed to be easily depleted below that value used before by the simple use of it for ground servicing seems strange.

I salute Boeing's tenacity in trampling down the perceived problem and I hope the fixes put the whole thing to bed.