PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Drop Out Rate
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2003, 10:00
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Kolibear has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Many people decide that learning to fly would be a cool idea. They go to the airfield, get quoted 45 hours minimum at £100/hour. Of course, they know they won't get their license in the mimum, so that add a bit more onto that, then some more again for all the books, etc. Being sensible people, they figure they need £6000 before they can learn to fly. So they save their money, and when they can afford £6000 they go and get a PPL.

Then it hits them - spending money on flying is something which doesn't stop when you get your PPL.

To say that people run out of money is, I think, too simplistic. I think it's more realistic to say that PPL students simply don't put any thought into how they'd like to continue their flying career after getting the PPL.

Occassionally, people who have little connection to flying will ask me about it, and the subject of cost inevitably comes up. I tell them that they're looking at £100-£200 per week, minimum, depending on the cost of their school and how much time they actually spend flying. Once they get their license, the cost might come down. What I never say (any more!) is "it will cost you £6000", or "it will take 45 hours minimum". Because getting the PPL is not the aim - enjoying flying for the rest of your life is.

FFF
---------------