PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oshkosh 2013 . . .
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2013, 12:37
Jack Ranga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't give give you any advice on the uni, we did the Winnebago thingy & stayed in the campground.

OSH is amazing, doubt you'll ever experience anything like it. Depends what you are there for. If you are building an experimental & going there for research it is all there. You won't have time to do all the seminars that are available, there is a huge range, some that you pay for some are free. You will be amazed at your freedom to get up close to ALL the aircraft on display. Respect the aircraft & their owners, they are very generous in letting you get so close. Military aircraft come and go. Bear in mind it is the Experimental Aircraft Association so it's mainly a show designed around that type of aircraft. Lots of different aircraft clubs fly in, antique, warbirds etc. last year was celebrating the piper cub, about 170 of them flew in and all parked in the one area, a mass of yellow

The flying displays start around 2:30pm giving you time in the morning to stroll around the pavilions. There is a night airshow, don't miss it. You will hear Aussies there but meet the locals, very friendly. There's an international party on there one night, they don't advertise it and you have to register for it, free beers apparently, we missed it make yourself get there early, you'll kick yourself for missing stuff if you get lazy. Do lots of walking before you go to get fit because you'll be doing heaps. There are shuttle buses that run everywhere on site and into town, it's all included in ticket price. The whole gig is incredibly well organised. It's hard to find decent healthy food if that's your thing, take your own in a backpack. You will also be amazed at how cheap everything is, your dollar will go a long, long way

It can get blindingly hot there. I wouldn't buy anything like sunscreen or hats etc here, it is all cheaper over there. Buy an empty bag over there for all the freebies & stuff you'll bring back. If you have time, the Air Force Museum in Dayton is incredible. The Udvar-Hazy Museum at Dulles is brilliant

I'll post more stuff as I think of it. You will have a great trip, experience of a lifetime