PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A400M as a maritime aircraft ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2013, 02:47
Stuffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the Nimrod took so long to complete, is anybody's guess. I think I few heads needed knocking together. All that money spent for scrap metal.

A while back I flew a Boeing B737-800 from Mumbai to Bangkok.
Sardines in a tin. The engines and wing may be modern, but it is still a cramped 1950's fuselage. Not the greatest flight.

There will be problems with the Boeing P8 Poseidon.
Two engines, no bomb bay to drop things. Trying to do too much with a small airframe. Where have we heard that before ?

Maybe we should update the Nimrod ? Errr, sorry, cancelled.

Only two engines on the Atlantique ? Yes, but it has a bomb bay.

Lots of MPA aircraft in Europe getting old. Replacement needed, come on Eurozone, you have loads of money. You keep telling us that things are fine.

No, not the Airbus 321, it is an airliner, and it has two engines.

A400M expensive ? Depends on the production run. Most of the expense will be the electronics on board. Which need, an aircraft that is quite large for many reasons. The crew need a rest on a long flight.

The A400M has quite a good rough/short field performance, and a inflight refueling probe. It is quick for a turboprop.

Nearly getting there are we?

The bomb bay, might be a problem. Still, much can be done with a big aircraft. Lots of space inside means lots of flexibility. I am still thinking Of that flight to Bangkok, sitting by the window and asking the passengers to move so I can go to the toilet. It would, probably make quite a good business aircraft. Done already you say, OK fine. Boeing Business aircraft.

Back to square one. The Nimrod should never have been cancelled. It was just mismanaged. Well, we know how smart managers are?

Airbus A340-300. Ideal, send a few up to Marshalls at Cambridge, conversion time.

Back to square two.

1)Four engines for an MPA
2)A nice big bomb bay to drop things.
3)Lots of electronic power and cooling.
4)Somewhere for the crew to eat and sleep.
5)An aircraft not designed in the 1950's. Nimrod, yeah I know, but it looks nice.

In the end, the Europeans will keep their ancient crates going, and the British will buy the Boeing P8.
Won't they Liam ?