PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VIRGIN AUSTRALIA EBA
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2013, 00:30
Open Descent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloody Hell,

So much for slow and steady gains over the years to, in time, develop a solid set of working conditions.

The problem with some of you, pammy & union to name a few, is you want to cherry pick the best bits of other operators conditions and combine them into some sort of super eba.

Given the time frame VB/VA has been around, the improvement in conditions has been ok in my opinion. When the company first started, Captains were on less the 100K (granted that was only a temporary arrangement), if voted up, by the end of the agreement a 737 Capt base salary is just shy of 218K. Not a bad improvement over 12 or so years.

Union, you say no real pay rise for the 737. I hate to tell you this but the company operate other aircraft as well and they had to be factored into this agreement.
Given most new starts, either direct entry or CRZFO, will start around level 1 on an ejet, they currently have a base of 84K. By the end of this agreement, they will be on level 3 conditions, just over 120K. 43% over the life of the agreement assuming they make level 3 by 2015. A level 2 ejet FO will increase just over 31%.

In the 737 case, a level 1 FO jumps from 105K to just under 142K, (assuming they make level 3 by 2015) over the life of the agreement, just under 35%. A level 2 jumps just under 24%.
A level 3 737 FO (thats me by the way), only gains 14%.
You're complaining that we're getting less in this offer. That's because you voted no last time, hence back pay gone.

330 FO now has a base of 130K, that becomes just under 157K over the life of the agreement.

I hear you say, "well thats **** compared to what Qantas get paid"
Well, you don't work for Qantas, or any other carrier you want to compare us too, you work for Virgin, and that's what is on offer. If you worked for Qantas you would probably still be stooging around with 2 bars on your shoulder complaining that you didn't have a future career in the company.

Crew meals, you have got to be kidding haven't you. I've worked for other carriers and what they served me on a plate had very little to do with my overall job satisfaction.

Duty travel in J class. Yes, would be fantastic to have it, but currently it is not on the table. Doesn't mean it can't be re-visited in the future, but for now it is not achievable. Move on.

Integration. Again, you had the chance for a much better one last vote. You said no. Guess what, next one was worse.

It's not a perfect offer, (I've yet to see one) but I believe it is a responsible one with some modest gains and one that goes some way to securing a little stability between now and when the next one is on the table, which isn't that far away mind you. I'll be voting yes and that isn't a decision born out of fear or intimidation. As I mentioned before, I have worked for other carriers, and you know what, life here is pretty bloody good.

Last edited by Open Descent; 16th Mar 2013 at 00:31.