PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 98.8% Falkland Islanders vote to stay British
Old 15th Mar 2013, 10:19
Courtney Mil

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Indeed, TTN, he won't.

Originally Posted by guardian.co.uk, Thursday 14 March 2013
Victor Bulmer-Thomas, an associate fellow at Chatham House, said that Fernández would no doubt try to use Francis's previous statements as propaganda but it was unlikely he would enter the debate. "Of course, Argentina will refer to the fact that he made these statements," said Bulmer-Thomas. "It's nice for them but I can't see it having any impact beyond that."

He added: "I imagine he would avoid it like the plague. As a good Argentinian, it was perfectly natural for him to support the position that most Argentinians take, but he's not representing Argentinians now but all Catholics ... You look at the list of things this poor man has to deal with and the Falklands has got to be way down."

Papal historian Michael Walsh echoed Bulmer-Thomas's comments, saying: "He's very unlikely to say anything that would upset one side rather than the other, although I can't help feeling it might be a long time before he gets an invitation to Britain."