PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2013, 10:13
tail wheel

Received 225 Likes on 120 Posts
I posted on the other History forum:

The piston Porter, less engine, was swapped with Talair for a C206 overhauled engine. The spare Queenair engine was fitted but I think there were cooling problems? I seem to recall it did around 40 hours before the engine was removed and it sat on the strip in Goroka for a very long time. I don't recall exactly what eventually happened to it but I have a feeling it was sold, boxed up and shipped to Europe?
The engine was a Lycoming IGO-540 I think.

Talair got the piston Porter from the Catholic Mission, Wewak I think. I suspect it was originally gifted to the Catholics - was the piston Porter in West Irian also operated by the Catholic Mission? I'm inclined to think it was a different aircraft.

I seem to recall UIC (which became P2-SE?) was boxed up and shipped to Europe for conversion to turbine power?

Some of the guys here may have better memories?

Tinpis loved the Porter - maybe he flew it???

DCA killed the Porter on Australian registration. It was limited to 4,800 pounds MTOW in Australia; 6,173 pounds MTOW in Europe; and the US military AU-23A could operate with an overload to 7,100 pounds MTOW.

Tinnie - the latest variant is the PC-6 Turbo-Porter B2-H4 with PT6A-34. Standard loading for the PT6A-20 variant was max weight when the coffee bags were stacked to the roof. With a PT6A-34 installed, we could have fitted belly Pods!!!