PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raising funds
Thread: Raising funds
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2003, 23:18
Ian_Wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I'll try my best as I'm only a 40hr student PPL, so I dont have first hand experience of getting funds for training after the PPL, only knowledge passed onto me by pro. pilots.

The first thing which is always worth a shot for the PPL is a loan from your family of about £5,000 - £6,000 if you're doing your PPL in the UK. If you have very kind parents who wish to give you the best chance possible then they may even pay this for you from their own pocket.... it does happen! (thank you mum and dad!!)

So now, you've got your PPL and you want to go onwards, well from talking to other pilots who have their CPL they told me this.

Get your IMC, Night rating, Multi, etc. from working as either a operations manager at the local flying school etc aswell as working in various other small jobs - even Tescos!!.

Then when you're working to save money, get your Instructors rating so you can be paid to fly, and also get experience and hours in your log book.

Also with trying for a operations job you may even get money knocked off the fuel etc. as you'll probs be flying out of the school you manage etc. So that's a bonus.

Then once you've saved and saved and saved you can increase your savings with a nice 'Career Development Loan' from banks such as HSBC. I beleive this only gives you £8,000 max, but its better than nothing and they concentrate on funding wannabe commercial pilots.

Ofcourse if you can apply to the airlines and get that life-long sponsorship deal then you dont have to worry about the costs...... as much

Hope this helps, and anyone else please feel free to correct me and add anything I missed.

Fly safe,

Ian