PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 98.8% Falkland Islanders vote to stay British
Old 14th Mar 2013, 20:48
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggus
I'm not saying that 16 yr olds should or shouldn't be able to vote. My only point is that when people say things like "16 yr olds are old enough to marry, serve in HM Forces....so they should be able to ????? as well....", it really isn't as simple as that.

As this article points out, to join the Army at 16 you need your parents permission, you won't be sent to a war zone until you are over 18, etc. In the same way you need parental consent in England and Wales to marry at 16, .... well the article explains it better than I can. The point is, there seems to be a transitional period between 16 and 18, where you can start to do certain things but often still have various forms of legal protection in the meantime. It's a grey area, a bit less black and white as some people commenting on here seem to imply.
See your point Biggus however, I do not believe that parental permission is germane to the argument. The point wrt 16 year olds' eligibility to join HM forces is that they are deemed competent enough to serve their country in whatever capacity. Serving your country and paying tax should be merit enough to be rewarded with the right to vote surely. Paying income taxes in any capacity should be merit enough to be rewarded with the right to vote. No tax without representation as the saying goes. As for marriage, again see your point; however, in Scotland as you know, no parental permission in required. So I see no shades of grey, but even accepting your notion of a transitional process from 16 to full adult hood - fine, introduce voting at 16 as one of the first transitional stages. What better introduction to get the youth interested and practised in civic responsibilities. As for interest and capability among that age group , take a look at the Scottish Youth Parliament Elections which are running right now (I'm sure there must be something similar in England). As a teacher in the Scottish secondary education sector I have first hand experience of the commitment, understanding and pragmatism our young people when debating issues which affect them. Are they capable of making an informed vote - as capable as any other voter without a shadow of doubt.

As for your hesitance in making comment re specious and bigoted remarks, then I share your concerns wholeheartedly. Take a wander through this and the Scottish Air Force thread and note occurrences of pejorative comments re "jockistan" "wee eck" “congenital mercenaries” , “Whingers of the North”, “Go and toss your cabers has been my attitude ever since” etc etc. Since entering teaching some 7 years ago I was struck and remain so by the tolerance I find amongst our young people towards each other. They are not as afraid of difference as past generations have been (including us) , indeed they celebrate it. Should they have a place in shaping the adult world which they are about to live - I think so and I think it will be the better for it.

Last edited by TomJoad; 14th Mar 2013 at 21:12.