PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R.A.F. Ouston
Thread: R.A.F. Ouston
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2013, 11:44
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
One of those airfields that most people remember fondly - out of the way but a really good atmosphere. Did my first JP solo there in '67, when it was the RLG for 6FTS at Acklington - we'd all fly or bus over there for the day, revel in the brick built accomodation and modern hangar before going back to our nice cold pre-war hangars and SECO huts.

Of note the Spitfire was there for the whole of our time on the course, and was still there when I left after holding with NUAS for some time. Along with the Spitfire (IIRC all silver -either stripped down or painted) there were also three or four crates which had Merlin engines in them - at least that's what was stated on the outside. Rumour had it it was serviceable but there was no one to certify the paperwork, and I later heard it went off to join Hamish Mahaddie's Air Force (aka The Battle of Britain film fleet).

Like DD I also had the pleasure (??) of operating out of there in '85 on Purple Victory, but in Chinooks. I think it was one of the coldest (tented) exercises I was ever one, and I include the Arctic, as we only had 'summer scales' - not helped by being allocated a camp site right next to the runway - again good for access to our aircraft, but unfortunately also where the C130s did their engine running off loads!