PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2013, 08:21
Dr Zeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EC120

I would at least keep the 120 in the list of aircraft for consideration. Fly before you buy anything else!

I've flown 500 hours on 120s and have owned 2 of them, - for private running they are hard to beat. Quiet ( inside and out ), fast, huge cargo capacity, and a nice looker. But, they are not all equal. One big variable is the weight. A "bare" 120 should weigh abt 1000 kg. At that weight, it should deliver all of the performance numbers, 125 knot cruise etc.
However, many of the early ones are carrying plush leather interiors, heavier older glass panel equipment, floats, aircon systems ( esp the after market systems ), and if there's too much of this stuff up front there may be tail ballast as well!
One of mine weighed 1020 kg empty, the other one was 1130 kg. The practical difference when loaded to MAUW was one hour's less fuel- quite a capability constraint.

The 120 is now a well proven design, and if configured correctly, is a super capable safe quiet modern helicopter with a huge cargo hold. Worth a look!