PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 13th Feb 2003, 20:38
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having followed this thread and posted comments already, it appears that the subject in question has changed to 'incompetent F/O'swho require a captains intervention. I don't think there is any question that a captain should intervene if the F/O is getting it wrong and questions like 'should the captain call a below glideslope deviation in the last 200' when on a visual approach', well yes, if he feels that the aircraft is low he should call it, as should the F/O as PNF for the same reason. I certainly wouldn't consider that to be interfering. If I called it and the captain felt it unnecessary due to him being on the papis I would at least hope that he 'double checked' to ensure the correct picture no matter what the papis were saying, and again, it comes down to good airmanship. If I were wrong I would appreciate comments (about anything), and frequently get them, as that is how I learn. If comments aren't forthcoming I will tend to ask for an opinion on 'what went wrong'.

I think the subject as posted is more to do with the (very few) captains who insist on things being done their way and pushing buttons, moving levers and doing things without request from the PF (FO) for no good reason. That is interfering, and as already pointed out leads to a breakdown in CRM and degradation of safety. So let's keep the subject at the forefront and not get into this 'too old captain/ jumped up F/O' rubbish. Neither of these types deserve a place on the flight deck.

So all the points that you have brought up greybeard appear to be about a lack of or bad flying skills which need rectification by way of training (or in my case just simply pointing out what I am doing wrong during any line sector). There is no question about this, but the original question, I think concerns interference with no good reason.

PP