PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Att: experienced B1900D pilots - perfecting the landing
Old 13th Mar 2013, 18:28
lionelmandrake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my technique

Ref plus ten, trim nose up so that you are pushing slightly, retard the power levers completely at fifty feet. By the time you get to ref and a few inches above the runway, your push will have become a slight pull (if you have to use both hands, use more nose up trim).
Only drawback is, and it has happened to me once, if your prop governor has issues you can get a high sink rate and assymetrical drag situation down close to the ground using the closede throttle technique. It has happened to me once in seven years of flying the bird, and it resulted in a firm landing (no worse than my boss does consistently) and was a bit of a surprise. Had we closed the throttle completely while airborne, say at the outer marker, to check the function of the gear horn as I have seen some piots do, then we would have discoverevd the faulty prop governor at altitude and there would have been no surprise.
By the way, all the book values for landing distances are calculated using throttles closed at fifty feet.