PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - a moving inspiring surprise
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2013, 16:01
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually get the 'shock and awe' bit when breaking through an overcast. One of those days where it's miserable and grey on the ground and you break through into brilliant sunshine and a fairy tale cloudscape. Always gives me that other worldly experience.

Mind you, talking about pilots and astronauts you have to remember that most of us, especially the astronauts have striven for years to achieve their goals right from childhood so it's not surprising that we find the achievement of our goals awe inspiring. I have taken people flying and on being VMC on top and admiring the view have said something like 'What do you think of the view then?' to which I've had the occasional 'Where?' reply....

Edit: I sometimes get one of those Richard Bach 'potential of aeroplanes' moments as well where I can look at a quite inocent looking aircraft sitting on the grass and think where that machine can take me and the things I can do that no one else can unless they are fellow aviators.

You have to be careful though, most aviators would think you were into flower arranging or something if you gave voice to too many thoughts like that....

Last edited by thing; 13th Mar 2013 at 16:08.