PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed Card ADF
Thread: Fixed Card ADF
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2013, 03:56
Shagpile

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm with big pistons here: sure they may have been acceptable in the past but things have moved on. There are much safer and cheaper alternatives.

When I teach students NDB orientation and intercepts, they all start by coming up with complex rules of thumb that inevitably fails about 30% of the time with them turning the wrong way.

As soon as you teach them to read the HSI/RMI like a map, they go straight to 100% accuracy and know exactly where they are, know where other aircraft are and can orientate themselves effectively, including increasing efficiency by manoeuvring directly overhead outbound, etc. I'm not sure if you can takeoff directly into a climbing turn and join the sector entry if you had a fixed card...anybody correct me on this?

Add in point-to-point intercepts and they can fly to any point in space within about 0.3nm by just looking at the RMI.

And that's out-of-date tech. It used to puzzle me why airlines put their HSI as sectorised when their SA would be increased by having a full compass. I now realise that their tech has moved on and the magenta line is safer than my full compass RMI/HSI setup for navigating. Just the march of progress.