PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 12th Mar 2013, 21:55
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
One eye redundant:

At least then if you lose your jobs, you can walk away with your integrity intact, and know that you did your best to keep a once great airline going.
Remember, this airline was started by pilots and engineers. Not greedy, grubby little men in suits, pushing their own selfish little agendas.
Well said. The current behaviour of the Board and Senior Management of Qantas remind me of a former emplyer of mine - I was marketing manager of a division of Email Limited.

The Board and Senior Management of Email Limited knew the price of everything and the value of nothing as I gradually found out after joining them. Their head office was not far from Mascot (Silverwater).

The made penny pinching into an art form and totally rooted the business by not investing much in it for new technology, and what they did invest in was always too late and the wrong technology. When their Managing Director was on the Board of Telecom (telstras predecessor), Telecom installed the then "new" carphone technology in his limousine as a surprise during a Board meeting. When he saw it he made them take it out as he didn't want his Salesmen and managers getting ideas about having car phones - that was the sort of idiot he was. They were also extremely cruel to their employees.

Our division was an accident - we made very high technology stuff that they needed a bit of in a hurry, so they bought us. We also made the absolute world leading oil terminal automation systems that we had installed all over Australia. Our programmers and electronics guys were paid way much more than EMail considered proper. We wanted to take our products international "too hard", "too expensive and we don't understand your business and technology anyway" was the Boards response.

They sold that business and kept making whitegoods in outback NSW and an antique plant in Adelaide....until they went broke and were broken up.

The oil terminal automation business prospers to this day. At least half the service stations in australia still use similar stuff we made.

Diamond Key International "Mutual Success Through Teamwork With Customers"

Sorry to digress but your Board sounds the same.

Email Limited was the largest company associated with the whitegoods industry in Australia. The company was responsible for production of items such as fridges, washing machines and dishwashers. Although Email Limited, Email Ltd Pty Ltd, and The Email Company Pty. Limited are still listed with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission, most of their manufacturing businesses have been taken over by other companies. In 2000 the Electrolux Group acquired the Major Appliances Business of Email Ltd; in January 2001 Smorgon Steel Group Ltd and OneSteel Ltd bought out many of Email's core businesses and in 2003 the Email Metering Group was sold to Intermoco Ltd.

Last edited by Sunfish; 12th Mar 2013 at 22:01.