PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2013, 17:28
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well that was fairly rude. Bealzebub contributes useful stuff to this thread which myself and many others greatly appreciated and helped me decide whether or not to bite the bullet or not..

He (or she) has stated before that he has no connection to CTC Aviation other than to have flown with CTC Graduates in airline cadetship positions. Anything he has said was information that had been passed on to him either secondhand or perhaps was read some time ago. I never remember seeing him claim to be an authority but I suppose that assumption was made because he has contributed a lot. There are very few graduates with placements that post on this section of pprune so any info from the other side had always been greatly appreciated.

The figures he quotes were accurate at the time I started training and had been for some time, they had only recently changed. I believe an increase in late 2011 to 21000 NZD for the foundation course and then the recent increase (I don't know when). Any cadet that would have graduated up until now would have paid the old prices. Your post talks about the debt costs were you to take out a loan. Nobody is forcing you to borrow money to take this course, that is up to the individuals circumstances. Different loans may have different rates and the figures given were the basic cost of the course. I am not entirely sure but I think the majority on the course don't go through BBVA and certainly not for the total course cost. Any personal savings would seriously reduce the total debt accrued.

To update your figures, insurance is around £1000 for 28 months or until type rating is complete (and a £50 supplement if you want to go skiing in New Zealand). The course isn't going to happen in 14 months, 18 is typical but I hear that recent groups are facing delays due to various reasons. I was told to set aside 10k for living costs to cover the duration.

As I understand, the only airline that asks for a contribution to the type rating is Easyjet/Flexicrew which isn't most of the partner airlines (albeit the majority of cadets will end up taking this route). Type ratings cost money and to cover it, you will be bonded to the airline for a number of years. The amount owed for the type rating will slowly reduce over that period. It isn't money that you will have to borrow up front unless you go to Ryanair etc. Therefore you wont be making loan repayments as such or accruing interest. The figures I saw (some time ago) suggested that between month 18-24, based on an 80k loan you would repay ~700 a month and then ~1000 a month from months 24-84 or whatever the loan period was.

I think the bit you missed was
the figures I have seen are around ...
Look at that sentence carefully. Did you perhaps read it as
This is the exact cost of the course, not a penny more .... Sign up today and I get a free parker pen
I think the problem here is that people have read so much negative stuff that they can't believe anyone with anything positive to say. There are a few that have graduated recently into their dream jobs with a very respectable airline after a short wait in the hold pool. That's not to say it will continue - although I hope it will.