PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA hourbuilding + IR(SE)?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2013, 15:42
Flying-dutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA hourbuilding + IR(SE)?

Hello,
If all goes well, soon I will have my EASA PPL(H) and after that I go for EASA ATPL(H) so I'm looking into hourbuilding.
Since I go for ATPL(H) I want to use my hourbuilding to build some skills and get me ready for the CPL exam and not fly aroung for the sake of getting the hours.
I need about 80 hours to fly and want to do some of it in the USA.
Now the questions is it smart to:
- fly 40 cheap hours in USA and do 40 hours in the UK, supervised by the flightschool where afterwards I will do CPL(H).
- fly 80 cheap hours in the USA and let them supervise/advise me on the flying. Afterwards going back to the UK to do CPL(H).

And does it make any sence to go for an IR (SE) in a R22 in the USA if my aim is to go for an EASA IR(ME) ?

If I go to the USA I'm thinking to do it in Florida in the Miami area, anyone disagrees and has a better option?
Using the Pprune search I came up with:
Florida flyers
Jerry trimble helicopters (Oregon)
Ocean Helicopters
I want to go there in June or August/september, depends on when I can do the ATPL exams.
How much days is sensible to count to do 40 hours of solo flying in a R22, 7-8 hours a day or is that too optimistic?
The next step will be to look into the paperwork I need to do and find out that everything I do in the USA will count towards my EASA license. According to the US flightschools I contacted it shouldn't be a problem, but I know EASA has a grey area here.
Hours done with a CFI are PIC according to FAA but EASA sometimes rejects that .
The whole idea is to save some money by doing some cheaper hourbuilding and also get experience in a different airspace/situation but it would be if when I get home, the hours I've build are not PIC..
Thx,
Chris

Last edited by Flying-dutch; 12th Mar 2013 at 16:01.