PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2013, 08:02
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TurbineD

Quote:
That means the VS reduced substantially. Very substantially. What happened that was "Impossible" that drastically reduced their Vertical descent? Greatly increased forward velocity?
Air density is a known fact, so is 15000 fpm. I think it is possible Bonin is trying to "sell" overspeed to Captain. With flat Pitch and an increase to 15k in the descent, Bonin may be showing the Captain, "Look, Nose Down, greatly enhanced loss of altitude." He then "PULLS", and the VS decreases. Remember, speeds are not to be trusted, nor is STALL.... It is only us who know they read true.

These are desperate moments, the crew will try anything, and having never experienced a STALL in a large swept wing jet, who could fault their "ingenuity"?

I am trying to make a case for more understanding of this accident, not less.

You say air density, but that implies a passive crew...I think they were innovating, what else could they do?

If you are satisfied that the investigator is satisfied, fine. Throughout, the BEA leave avenues unsearched, and leave open (apparently) room for doubt.

They expect lack of interest to help them prove their case, and they get it.

Another approach could be: "This is everything we have, here are the possibilities." "here, there is great disagreement, shouting, so, this...."

The unending theme of this unsatisfactory conclusion is "Why"? Absent the fullness of data, that remains the height of injustice. The least fair of all settlements is Blame....And here, an opportunity to learn, squandered.

Last edited by Lyman; 12th Mar 2013 at 08:04.