PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment III
Old 12th Mar 2013, 06:09
Astara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta keep on, keep on, keep on, keep on ....

Originally Posted by crs92
This wait is annoying me now, ... this is my 3rd week waiting to hear back..they sure take their time
Three weeks is nothing, I promise you.

I was raced through from application to reference checks in under two weeks total and then told I was simply awaiting a ground school training start date - that was over four months ago! At the time I was ecstatic, because I felt at the speed the process was occurring, I would surely be training and flying in no time - friends who operate assured me they knew better, but I still kept my hopes up. I exchanged phone numbers with seven others at my 2nd interview (some who were even flown from PER/BRI to attend my AD in MEL, as there were no upcoming local dates) and all of them are still waiting for their 'Golden Call' - and yes, they are all still assured they are 'on the wait list' and have not been withdrawn.

To put it in perspective for you and everyone else reading this forum, from the conversations I have had with many, many QF/VA/JQ staff - the average recruitment period ranges between six months to a year. I've met just one active crew member working for QF who made it from application to ground school in less than six months. It's just the reality of trying to work in the aviation industry. :/

I have a funny and enlightening aviation recruitment experience a good friend of mine tells who went through recruitment with Virgin Blue five years ago. They applied, was rushed through the recruitment hurdles, and after waiting three months decided to move to Germany to learn the language and have an extended holiday while she waited for her ground school start date. She called the recruiters, and they insisted it would be fine as there were no plans to hold any ground schools for the foreseeable future and that it was almost impossible that she would be placed within the next six months. She moved a week later, and after only two weeks in Germany got the Golden Call asking if she could start in less than seven days !!! - That's aviation recruitment, there's no rhyme or reason for anything they do.

It is confusing. It is often outright frustrating as you are forever, and often needlessly, waiting - for something, ANYTHING from them to let you know something is happening with your application progress. Just take some comfort in knowing your experience is not unusual, and you may be waiting a long while yet.

I would strongly suggest looking for alternate work that is casual/highly flexible that you can leave as soon as VA make that magical GC.

Sorry for the long post - but I hope it answers a lot of questions for those who are confused by the recruitment process and the endless waiting...waiting...waiting...Oh - yes. I'm STILL waiting, this post killed five minutes... hmm... back to old TV re-runs while I sit by the phone

RING DAMN YOU!!! ... GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by Astara; 12th Mar 2013 at 06:33.