PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh dear... Now what should I do?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2003, 14:46
Nishko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Oh dear... Now what should I do?

Hello folks,

Well, I'm a bit down in the dumps.

I left my computing job a couple of years ago and borrowed a load of money for flight training. Unfortunately due to delays and unexpected expenses etc, I have run out of cash before getting my IR done. My plan has gone horribly wrong.

Here's what I have got:

JAR ATPL passes (with about 24 months left till expiry)
JAR CPL
Multi/Night
Unrestricted Flight instructor rating.

I have around 500 hours TT
170 hours FI
20 Hours Multi....... blah blah....

I have been instructing my socks off for the last 5 months, but the work is drying up rapidly. I have also done a bit of co-pilot/pilot assistant work for a company doing air ambulance stuff. However, with a large debt to repay, a mortgage and bills I am getting further and deeper into debt, and it would appear that I have no chance of getting a serious flying job until I have an IR.

The bottom line is that I cannot borrow any more money until I have paid some of the debt off. But I can't do that until I have earned some money. Trying to find part time work elsewhere that is flexible enough to fit in with the instructing is near impossible.

Basically, I appear to be in 'coffin corner'. I am right on the brink of giving it all up and cutting my losses, but obviously that's the last thing I want to have to do, but I have run out of ideas.

Has anyone else out there had a similar experience, and can you persuade me to hang in there? Where can I find someone who'll lend me an IR for a few years!???! It's depressing to think that all of the hard work along with the dream (not to mention the money) is near to going up in smoke..... Yup, I'm feeling sorry for myself, but I've been trying hard not to, honest!

Nish.