PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2013, 17:19
SAROSKEETERMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"SHARJAH IS A GOOD POSTING!"

Have been clearing out a lot of items prior to moving house. Came across a photocopied magazine article as per the above title "By the OC, RAF Sharjah, Squadron Leader T.H. Sheppard, FRGS." Written around 1965-6, it comprises of five pages of info' and photo's dispelling the rumours that were around at the time that it was a "rubbish" posting. On my last page(406) it says 'Concluded on page 412.' - has anyone got the full article? And what magazine was it published in, could it have been 'Air Clues?' I received this from a friend of mine shortly after returning to the UK, so the source of the article is lost in the "mists of time!"
Two of the photo's are in leesaranda's post No. 394, they are the ones taken by JD of the TP landing at Sharjah and the Para's being offloaded at Saiq. Couple of quotes are...."Despite its inelegance, the Twin Pioneer, like the Beverly supports a unique task that no other aircraft could effect."(alluding to the TOS and Para patrols in the Jebel Akhdar)......and......"whilst scheduled to start building within the next few months is a new station headquarters, education section and supply squadron."

Last edited by SAROSKEETERMAN; 11th Mar 2013 at 17:23.