PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2013, 15:32
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy, thanks for responding.

Let me re-post what I think is important, and not at all argumentative (?)

Whatever the nomenclature, there are three wound cells in each of eight cases.

Any primary failure must have a point of origin. In the literature, one of these potential failures is at a perforation of the separator. It is one millimeter in diameter.

My take away from the discussion is that somehow, cell "balancing" (as to recharge) would solve the problem of runaway.

So my question: What locale is served by balancing? The electrode and collector must perform this on an instantaneous basis; any imbalance across the face of each electrode creates heat in addition to that of discharge/charge.

I see two issues. One, based on quality, is the potential for isolated and microscopic hot spots due to contamination and/or lack of care in assembly.

Two, the possibility of damage expressed as deformation of the electrode stack, this due to thermal and pressure cycling, and degradation of the paste(s), substrate, or separator elements.

Because that is what I hope for. I also believe that is what Boeing would hope for. Large format Lithium Ion Batteries might be the way of the future. If they are to be, Boeing is to be recognized for taking the step, FAA for allowing it, and the travelling public for placing trust in the system......

I do not think the charging issue or any other problem is related to this failure, except to say after the fact. Perhaps especially the default "CLOSED" contactors, which may have prevented takng the batteries off line....

NTSB: Single cell fault, No evidence of overcharge...(BTW, "overcharge" is not necessary, charging in and of itself produces heat, No?)

Take it away......