PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 11th Mar 2013, 09:20
1me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say 99% of the guys on my crew don't believe it is going to make 1 ounce of difference in saving most of the jobs.
My guess is that these are the blokes who happily come in to work O/T.

Quite the opposite,if no one does O/T,would the bean counters not look at that port/work area,and deem that they must be overstaffed.
EWANQF I don't quite follow your logic here. To my reckoning if no O/T was performed there would be less available man hours to acquit maintenance thereby creating backlogs. With people working O/T the available man-hours increase allowing more maintenance to be acquitted. The net result is more aircraft available to the airline. I fail to see how not being able to acquit scheduled maintenance means that a section is overstaffed.

And no,I am not burying my head in the sand,this is the new reality,things are changing rapidly and even if the engineering is being run into the ground,there really is nothing you can do.(ie they shut the bloody airline down last time it got tough...don't you remember)
So you'd just rather throw your hands up in the air and give up? "It's too hard..I can't do it.." You may very well be right in that there's not much we can do but why make any easier for them than it should be?

Its time to move on 1me,no one outside of QANTAS really cares about working in the rain at 2am during winter.You chose this industry,I chose this industry.I am going to stick with it as long as I can.And if that means adapting to change,then that is what I will do.
If you read my post then you will find that that is exactly what I'm saying.. nobody cares but us! Adapting to change is one thing EWANQF but to me that doesn't include working O/T when the company is going to push good people out the door under the premise that we are overstaffed!

Will we see you at the meeting on Wednesday?