PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2013, 22:30
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you saptzae, for your patience with a layman.

I still am not tracking as to how a primary cause, an internal short, can be "managed".....

I was confusing management with "mitigation", so your response above helps in that regard. If you mean a well managed program, I see that as very helpful....

I found this interesting item in the Exponent paper...

This fact has led to a misconception that lithium-ion cells burn vigorously because they “produce their own oxygen.” This idea is incorrect. No significant amount of oxygen is found in cell vent gases.91 Any internal production of oxygen will affect cell internal reactivity,11 cell internal temperature, and cell case temperature, but plays no measurable role in the flammability of vent gases
One immediate question re: the "Materials Addendum"........

They found spherical globules of Stainless Steel in the Combusted products within the identified cell, number 6. That means 2700 degrees, and most of Exponents' text refer to 1100 degrees as typical in thermal runaway.....

What source of the metallic Stainless? Typical of cell container is Aluminum, as the enclosure represents.....A technician is holding what appears to be a damaged encasement (cell), could that be Stainless?

Have you any comment on the CT images of the exemplar cells' sections?

To me, the electrode stack is in disarray?