PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways " Think long and Hard"
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2013, 18:42
a330pilotcanada

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Afternoon Porkling:

Thank you for taking the time and relating your thoughts on being an expatriate working off shore.

I did have a chuckle reading your well thought out posting as when I saw your age it reminded me of an experience I had so many years ago.

As you will appreciate I will not name places or airlines so as not to raise any flags. I was about your age when my manager asked me if I was interested in a secondment to Airline "X". Being the adventurous type I said yes as at that time I thought of getting an offshore tax free job and making a killing so I could retire in a warmer climate with tons of money in the bank but I digress.

While at Airline "X" I worked with a group of expatriates and over beer it seemed to be this, my five year plan is this, problems dealing with the locals which in the vast majority of cases was the level of anger being directed at them because they were "stealing" local jobs, medical care, going home on holidays, schooling for children etc. Other issues and not limited to was the "local" competency which ranged from non-existent to brilliant as jobs were a "patronage" position and the fact this country went from the ox cart to sophisticated jet aircraft in a generation or two. No protection ie a union to back you up, if you did something took someone's "face" you were put in a very "awkward" position very quickly and it was definitely not "milk and cookies" with the management of the day (which changed which way the wind blew).

Needless to say my experience was considered an educational experience as it allowed me to look at many cultures and how they relate to others plus an opportunity to travel.

Would I ever do it again the answer is no mostly because I have "hung up the hat" but it would only be considered if it was to put food on the table.

I would invite others to consider this that there are people who have to go in the "sand box" as this their means to support their families, there are others who do not do their due diligence and really find out they have made a poor decision to go there as there are others who realize they made a poor decision and are not intellectually honest to admit so and then there are others who thrive on being an expatriate.

I know of a few people who went to the "sand box" and have done very well for themselves and others who left the "sand box" early and are now simulator instructors because they could not fit in or the flying time limits were ugly.

So Porkling please keep putting your insights here as I for one find them great reading.

In closing anyone who wants to work off shore make sure you have a good financial planner who can steer you through your countries tax laws as it applies to working off shore and of course Caveat Emptor rules all.