PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2013, 16:28
helena24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone

I'm new here. I've been following this thread for the past couple of months with quite an interest, but after speaking with some local pilots I'm starting to become discouraged. I have every intent of applying to the next round of FPP if they offer it, but I wanted to get your opinion on some things.

First of all, how important is it to have an aptitude for mechanics? I'm a very technical oriented person, but I'm mostly good with software/programming/ etc. I have pretty good knowledge of geology and meteorology, and I could do ok with learning physics, but I am currently far from understanding mechanics perfectly if that makes sense.

Secondly, I have been told that the fact that I am female might get in the way. I have a degree in IT and one in a social science, and I don't want to appear too "girly". So far, I had only one cargo pilot tell me that being a women might be advantageous in the process (since there are fewer overall) but most people have been saying that female pilots inspire less confidence.

So what do you think? I know it's mostly about the individual, and what I can do/learn, but I also know that this might play a part. Any insight from current/past applicants male or female would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.